Saturday, August 19, 2006

Back to School Ideas

Recently I had the privilege of sitting with two teachers during a dinner fellowship. I learned something new. Amazing as it seems, teachers tend to get a lot of mugs at Christmas time. And even more amazing, teachers don't want anymore mugs. Costco already has their Christmas stuff out, so it is possible that someone might read this already thinking about what to get their children's teachers for Christmas. Steer clear of the mugs, and go for the Starbucks Cards. My sources tell me that is a very popular gift to receive. My theory on this is:
1. They can't afford to go to Starbucks often on teacher salaries, so the card is a BIG treat.
2. They NEED that Starbucks fix whether they can afford it or not, so every Starbuck's card helps the cause.
3. They need something to put in all those mugs. (My husband thought of this one)

Another thought I have as students and teachers head back to school is the importance of getting involved in a Bible study. This is the time of year when studies are starting up. I will be with the ladies at Santa Rosa Bible Church Tuesday mornings this year and am excited about studying the book of Judges, which we will begin the 2nd Tuesday in September (I think) . God's word always has something valuable for His children everytime we study it.

Bible Study Fellowship is also beginning in a couple of weeks. For the past 9 years I was a part of Bible Study Fellowship and I rejoice in all that God has taught me through that time. I have found that it is vital for me to be in a study that holds me accountable to really digging in to the Bible. It would be far more convenient and time efficient if I were to study on my own each day in that same way, but I am a person that needs outside accountability when it comes to Bible study. God has honored my recognition of that need and amazingly has multiplied my time in such a way that I am accomplishing more when I steal that time to spend together with other believers studying the Bible.

So there you go, two great tips to arm yourself with at the start of a new school year. If you want to buy a Starbuck's card, there's one on just about every corner and in most Safeways. If you want to get into a Bible study, contact your church for information, or go online and check out BSF International website (www.bsfinternational.org ) for class information.

4 Comments:

At 4:31 AM, Blogger Julie Danielle said...

If I was a teacher I would love a Starbucks card too!!!

I wish we had a BSF close to us here but we don't. We do have a neat Bible study on base and it starts in about 2 weeks. I got here in April so I could only go for a few weeks before summer hit. So I am very excited about it starting up again :)

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

You are awesome - yea - no mugs - go for the Starbucks cards!!!!!!!!! We love it :):):) Gift cards for most anything is wonderful - GREAT post Jen!

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger J Crew said...

A certain teacher who is married to the center of attention will appreciate your comments on this.

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Megan @ SimplyThrifty said...

Can I suggest one other "standard" gift NOT to give? Candles. It seems for every coffee mug I get I also get a candle or two. At least candles can be used up. I just give about 99% of mine to my sister who can't seem to get enough. Great post!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home