Friday, September 01, 2006

Bad Hair Days


Well thanks to my vast readership I have some new thoughts for posts. I made a list of 9 potential ideas so hopefully I'll have some very insightful musings to share for quite a while. Tonight's title is a good indication of just how insightful.

Megan suggested posting hairstyles I've worn over the years. As I pondered that one, what came to mind were the times I have cut my own bangs.

Haircutting seems to be a "talent" that runs in our family because both my sister and I have created some rare styles in our efforts at saving a few bucks. I think she has even more "talent" than me in this area. (Her sweet mother-in-law, who would hesitate to say anything uncharitable about anyone, has been rather blunt in the unkind things she has said about Jody's clipping.)

Unlike my sister, who gave Jeff & David some very infamous haircuts, the one most victimized by my lack of ability was myself. Quite often I have resorted to cutting my own bangs. Not only does it save money, my hair just grows so fast and my hairline begins so low (about an inch & a half above my eyebrows--my husband & I are rather opposites in this area), that it is just a matter of convenience. In earlier years, I was never too careful about it and thought to myself that because of the curl in my hair, no one could tell my bangs were not even. As I compare the height of my bangs from one side of my face to the other in this picture, I'm thinking I was either blind or delusional.

This picture reminds me not only of some very bad hair days, but also of my new found solution to that particular problem. Johnny's got the right idea...wear a hat.

9 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Blogger Ando said...

I've been the recipient of a bad at-home haircut. Jen had the wrong size guard on the clippers and buzzed a bald swath through the middle of my head...a week before my sisters wedding.

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I have had some bad hair days and some bad cuts. Like you said, when you look back sometimes, you think, "and I thought that was ok???" I don't think it looks bad and Jeremy and I were amazed to see Scott! Great post - keep it up! Tell Catie I am anxiously awaiting! I know her blog/post will be a good one :):)

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger jenylu said...

Ando - I remember Chris & Sarah telling us the story of that haircut...they had tears in their eyes they were laughing so hard! But you looked respectable for the wedding!

SJ -- When you say you were amazed to see Scott, did you mean, "We were amazed to see Scott with so much hair?" :)
Catie's post is in the works...

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Actually that wasn't exactly what we meant - but maybe it was - we just didn't think it looked like Scott. Johnny looks adorable in that pic

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Call Me June... said...

I think SJ is being very charitable about your hair! If memory serves me correctly, you used that picture in your Christmas card that year. While it doesn't quite rival Jeff's escaped-mental-hospital-patient haircut, it's still pretty funny!

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Megan @ SimplyThrifty said...

Jenn, I'm glad you took my idea. :) I think I'll post a picture to match. Go check out my blog. It'll be up in a few. Great pic by the way!

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger RJ-77 said...

Jen - your hair is hairlarious! It reminds me of my sister.

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger J Crew said...

Scott looks tremendous. I think he should bring back the mustache

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Peter Brown said...

The only really bad haircut I ever got was at a salon, I paid 16 dollars for the haircut, and tipped the woman 3 bucks after I made her cry.

At least yours was free.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home