Monday, December 04, 2006

Bad Doggie

Today's post is dedicated to our Thursday adventure with Beamer. Scott & I enjoyed an evening out, while the kids kept the home fires burning. At some point in our absence, Beamer snuck upstairs and raided my closet where I had put together some packages of chocolate truffles for two of my high school buddies. I was dismayed to discovered about 14 shiny wrappers strewn about and chocolate smeared upon my carpet.

As it was about 11:00 p.m., I had to call an emergency vet to get some instruction. The first vet simply said, "Bring him in now." When I relayed this information to Scott, who had already climbed into bed, he didn't think that was good advice. I agreed to get a 2nd opinion and tried again. The next vet walked me through instructions to make Beamer throw up using hydrogen peroxide. I proceeded to squirt the liquid into my unappreciative toy fox terrier. About 15 minutes later, the fun began. Not only did he throw up through the night, he also howled and whined the entire time. In the process of letting Beamer out, the kitten escaped into the dark & freezing yard twice. Both times saw me fishing him out from under the trampoline. At 3:00 a.m., I received a phone call on my cell phone from my son-- he was calling from his bedroom to ask if he could skip school the next morning since Beamer was keeping everyone awake. In the process of checking on Beamer, a couple of minutes later, I realized that the Christmas carols were playing downstairs. After checking with each of the kids to see if they'd turned on the music, the mystery began. I was suddenly worried about more than a sick dog. I woke up Scott and told him, "You'd better come downstairs with me. The music is on and now I'm wondering if someone is in the house and that's why Beamer keeps barking?" (It made sense in the wee hours of the morning.) Scott came down with me and while I cleaned up the newest upchuck, he searched the house for our musical intruder. A couple of minutes later, he was back downstairs checking a closet he'd forgotten to look in. For the next hour, I lay awake worried about Beamer, and a lurking Christmas carol bandit. Daylight could not come soon enough.

The long & the short of it is we are all recovered. However, we have no high hopes that Beamer learned any kind of lesson, so we have invested in a portable gate that blocks the stairs. May your dog be healthy, your chocolate's stay wrapped, and may you be spared the agony of the Musical Intruder.

11 Comments:

At 8:31 PM, Blogger Call Me June... said...

Okay, this had my whole family laughing. My children think it is hilarious that Johnny called on his cell phone. To quote Brit, "That is such a Johnny thing!" They also want to know if he got to skip school. They also think it is pretty funny that you thought someone would break into your home and proceed to turn on your stereo! Thanks for allowing us some amusement at your expense!

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Megan @ SimplyThrifty said...

What a great story. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you're all doing well.

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger jenylu said...

Whoops,
I used the wrong ID -- it was really Jennylu chuckling about the intruder. :) Pawprints was the one member of the house sleeping...

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Ando said...

Ah, the joys of dog ownership. So who turned on the music?

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Johnny on the cell is my favorite part!!!!! Great post and I am wondering too - who was playing the music????????

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger jenylu said...

The music remains a mystery. The best we can figure is the cat jumped onto the entertainment center and accidently stepped on the remote thereby turning on the music. Either that, or someone was sleepwalking!

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Peter Brown said...

This is yet another wild story! I feel my Thursday was downright dull in comparison. You folks do live an exciting life!

I am reminded of my mother-in-law forcing her dog to eat a large amount of mustard to accomplish a similar effect to your hydrogen peroxide solution. I'm not sure which is worse...

I won't discount the musical bandit so quickly. I hear tell of a thief that uses Christmas carols to lull you into a false sense of security only to steal all your sugar cookies and milk.

beware...

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Becca Sports said...

I loved the use of the cell phone! Wow, a great reminder why we will not have a dog in our house :) Dogs in Chicago don't go well because they have to be inside all winter long. No thank you!

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger J Crew said...

Your life is quite eventful and fun. and tell Johnny next time to just get out of bed and tell you himself instead of calling on his cell phone. :)

 
At 5:26 AM, Blogger The two love birds .. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:31 AM, Blogger The two love birds .. said...

Glad that we did not come for a visit that night. Please let us know in advance when you are planning such events so we can reschedule or schedule our visits around those nights in the future. BYE!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home