Monday, November 06, 2006

Can Someone Help Me Understand?

I was just leaving a comment on JCrew's blog, The Storekeeper (refer to the link in my sidebar 'cuz I'm not sure how to link it right into the text like those fancy pants bloggers do) and after I entered my user ID & password, I had to type in some garbled letters I saw. Sometimes I'm not sharp enough to get it right on the first try and have to attempt it a couple of times--although I did get it right the first time today!

However, I have a question -- why does anyone have this feature on their comments section? I've heard it is to discourage SPAM comments. However, I have another question -- does anyone get SPAM comments on their blogs? Shoot, I wouldn't mind if I got a few. I'm still waiting for most of my posts to get to double digits on the comment end of things, a few SPAM comments here and there might be a good thing. Maybe I'm missing something. Can someone help me understand?

I guess avoiding SPAM comments is not the only part of blogging I don't understand. I seem to be a little photo challenged as well. I tried about 24 1/2 times to add the photos to my last post, but Blogger just wasn't working with me in the endeaver. Today is another story, so here are the ones I was wanting to include. The picture to the left is our debate club, Santa Rosa Touché. This is the same club that will be hosting a debate round robin Saturday the 18th of November. For those of you I've hit up to judge, aren't those sweet looking young folks? Surely my sister is beside herself that I can't ask her to judge, Indiana is a little far to commute. She has such a lofty view of homeschool events I know this would be the highlight of the month for her!


The photo to the left is one of the 6 zillion we took of Squiggy & Beamer during our trip down to the debate tournament. I think these two pets are among the most photographed subjects for the fall of 2006 -- taking a distant second to Rebekah Kuhner! Pretty sad huh, but kittens only stay kittens for such a short time and digital is such a wonderful way to take 6 zillion pictures and keep your favorite 3. Anyhoo, it was fun having two of our pets along for the ride, and as you can see, they kept it lively.

Megan asked why we did not have three pets along -- after all, we do have TWO cats! However, our cat Jinx, the original pet of the house, is a little, no actually big time, neurotic. Trips across town to the vet are more than enough time in the car with her--neither my nerves, nor my ears could weather longer distances. No, I think two pets in the car is just about enough. That I understand!

10 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, Blogger Ando said...

I've been having sporadic problems adding pics to posts for months. Blogger has issues. I found a way around it, but it's a bit HTML heavy and not for the faint of heart. Actually it's pretty easy, but not for explaining in a blog comment.

You're probably right about the SPAM comments. In the almost one year I've been blogging I think I've gotten exactly 3 spam comments.

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger jenylu said...

Thanks Ando --
It makes me feel better that a fancy pants blogger like you has problems adding those photos too. Maybe you could email me the way around it. :-)

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I think that Blogger has had issues too - I have had a horrible time adding pictures over the last few weeks. As for the letters - I know I don't have to worry about a lot of SPAM - - - but I know some do - so I just type it and go on :)

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Megan @ SimplyThrifty said...

I saw a few spam comments on someone's blog...maybe even my own the first few weeks I blogged which is why I put the protection on. Some people can randomly generate SPAM to your post if they get ahold of your address. I had some problems with pics awhile ago but haven't had any issues of late. It doesn't always seem universal. Weird huh? You're doing great though. Thanks for sharing.

Poor Jinx. We're trying to prep our cat for the move next year and put a harness on her randomly. She does NOT like it!!

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Julie Danielle said...

I am pretty sure I don't have the spam blocker up and I have gotten about 3-4 spam posts total. The codes are hard to understand sometimes.

I have also had issues with pictures before.

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger J Crew said...

Those kids look ready to pounce and the animals are quite photohenic. I think you're on your way to 10 comments by the way Jenylu

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Becca Sports said...

Jenylu,

I'm trying to help get your comments to the double digits! Great post. I'm right there with you, I wouldn't mind a few "spam" hits! :) Of course I need to blog more often, I've dropped the ball lately. I would love to get that list of books from you. I'm always looking for other great books to read to the girls. I'll give you my "spam" email address (reprov31@hotmail.com). Once you email me, I'll send you my real address! :)

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger Peter Brown said...

I'm impressed you took any cat in a car. I would never have willingly been trapped in a car with either of my cats.

As for blogger...yes pictures stink in the morning, better at night...

I once got 93 SPAM comments on one post. It took almost an hour to fix and I turned on the word verification...

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger Becca Sports said...

Let's get this one to 10!!!

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Just a note - I am signed up to judge for one of the afternoon times - yea!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home