Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Of Flower Girls and Old Age

There's nothing like waiting for the flower girl from your wedding to call and say that she's had her baby to make you feel old! This coming March, Scott & I will celebrate our 20th anniversary. That makes almost 20 years ago that Sarah & Megan, at the tender ages of 7 and 5, stood up with us as our adorable flower girls.

Then, six years ago, our flower girl Sarah, went and got married herself. Two flower girls weren't enough for her, she had FOUR! They even had shirts that read, "Chris & Sarah's Flower Girl Club". My two little girls, Catie & Michelle, ages 7 and 5, were among her flower girls. Sarah also honored me by wearing my wedding dress.

Now Sarah's going to have her own little one. Although I will love equally either a little great-nephew, or a great-niece, I am really rooting for a little girl. The way I figure it, if Sarah had a little girl this month and Catie somehow found Mr. Right and ended up getting married by, say, 21, she could ask Sarah's little 7 year old to be one of her flower girls. If I've done the math right, she should have about eight of them (flower girls that is). Chances are she's going to be taller than me, so having her wear my dress might be tricky. Oh that & the fact that she doesn't want to get married--these are potential roadblocks for my grand plan, and yet, it could happen!

Yes, having the 7 year old from my wedding about to have a baby does make me feel old. But I found a way to be proactive in the aging battle today. It really bugged me that my Myspace profile advertised my age, right in a prominent place. I tried to figure out how to just delete than information but I'm not that savvy. Tonight I found a better solution--I am now 29 and intend to stay there!

12 Comments:

At 10:29 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

That is a very cool post. I am so excited and can't wait for the little one to arrive. Soooooo - that means that I don't have to feel old until my flower girl starts having children - yea - I have quite a while until that happens since she was 4 last year in my wedding - woooooo hoooooooo!

 
At 5:09 AM, Blogger Julie Danielle said...

I am SO excited about Sarah having a baby :) And that would be really cool if the child could be in your daughter's wedding too :)

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger The two love birds .. said...

Jen

We are so glad that we have another way to stay connected with you guys. What beautiful brides. Hey? Where is the man of the house Scott in this Blog. Get him talking. Your kids look great and you are right Johnny is too handsome. Watch him around those girls but that is a hopeless cause right? Sounds like life is still busy and great for all of you. Planning your next mission trip soon? Take care LOVE YOU ALL

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Sarah Kuhner said...

That was such a sweet post. I really think it would be awesome to have our little girl (still really hoping for a girl and still really waiting to find out) in Catie's wedding as a flower girl. We will have to work on breaking down the whole "Not going to marry" complex or this might get a little tricky. Well, no baby yet though I am getting awfully uncomfortable with all these contractions. Hope to give you a great niece soon. :o)

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger J Crew said...

Nothing wrong with a little wishful thinking. How does your daughter feel about this?

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Peter Brown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Peter Brown said...

29 is a fine age, and I'm happy with it but don't think it would be worth staying at. I've always been for not hiding your years. Id much rather have exprience and wisdom than pimples and designer shoes.

When I turn 40 I'm get that bumpersticker:

"Question Authority
Ask Me Anythin

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I was visiting with your other daughter last night and see she made a comment, but we were just wondering if it could be her that got married - how does the math work on that one?

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger jenylu said...

J Crew:
Catie liked the post but the wishful thinking part is, to quote her, "out of the question"!

Kludge:
You feel the way you do about your age:
1. Because you ARE 29.
2. Because you're a man.

SJ:
If Sarah's little one is a girl, she will turn 7 a month after Michelle turns 19. Hmmm...

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I was just curious on the math - your daughter was the one who seemed more irritated - - -

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger Peter Brown said...

Jenylu-

Your right on both counts. I suppose I don't really have perspective.
Well then, nevermind and welcome back to 29!
:)

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Call Me June... said...

A year from now I will have a child in college! I can definitely relate to the feeling old thing! Could it be that we don't just feel old, but really are old? Surely not!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home