Wednesday, January 10, 2007

I've Got Speech Fever

Our Christmas vacation this year was a little unusual. Because the girls were signed up for a speech and debate tournament in San Diego January 4 - 6, it meant we could not completely take a vacation from school. The preparation for debate alone would have given them a little to do each day, but the expository speeches they were planning to tackle provided the lion's share of the work. According to NCFCA rules, "An Expository Speech is a platform speech that 'exposes' or explains a particular topic through the use of visual aids. The speech must be an original work, scripted word for word...The speaker describes, illustrates, or defines an object, idea, or process using visual aids... Humor and satire are allowed."

Although Catie has known since the beginning of summer that she wanted to do an expository speech on puppets (Michelle just decided to do one on dogs in October), the beginning of December found both girls still writing their speeches and just in the early stages of planning their visual aids. My role in this turned out to be a very active one with my job description including speech editing, design consultant, performance critic, shopper and manual laborer. However, the toughest job by far was cracking the whip one minute, and striving to encourage and inspire the next. In between the Christmas gatherings we hosted, our large dining room table was COVERED with craft supplies and expository visual aids. At several junctures, I did not think we were going to make it! Theoretically, we could have been far better prepared and have just needed to practice & polish a few lines over Christmas vacation. Practically speaking however, I doubt it would be any different next year. What am I saying? How could we possibly consider doing this again next year??? I don't think giving birth was this painful!


Catie's speech contained a segment on the Muppets. As a result of muppets on the brain, we rented Muppet's Christmas Carol and Muppet's Treasure Island over the break. Michelle used the song, "Cabin Fever", as the inspiration for this little poem I found at by one of her boards. It summed up our preparations experience quite well:

I've got speech fever

It's driving me insane

I've got speech fever

I'm afraid I must complain

I 've got speech fever

Can't go on another day

I've got speech fever

I must stop and play!!!

To say we were questioning our sanity was putting it mildly. However, as I sat in Michelle's first expository round, I know the smile on my face was huge. I had the joy of watching her give her very best performance right there in front of the judges. In the end, both girls far exceeded any expectations, advancing not only to semi-finals but then onto finals as well. It was a new experience for the Rowlands family to make it so far and I was so very thankful that God graciously allowed the girls to do it together.

Hmmm. Maybe it was worth it. Like childbirth, I would not be surprised if we forget the pain & stretchmarks of preparation and find ourselves birthing two more expository speeches next year.

6 Comments:

At 12:14 PM, Blogger Sarah Kuhner said...

Thanks for a fun look into your life over the Christmas break. The girls look so grownup and professional. Lots of work but good job on making it into the finals. I am proud of them both.

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Megan @ SimplyThrifty said...

Wow! Looks intense. Sounds like the girls did great! Wish we could have seen you while you were down...although it would have been a tight fit. :) Maybe next time! I have a bunch of cow stuff for Michelle to look through.

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Megan @ SimplyThrifty said...

June Mountain sounds fun! We can probably make it that Saturday but not the Friday. :)

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Great job to the Rowlands girls and to their mom!!!!!! I am sure they did fabulous!!!!

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger The two love birds .. said...

Both Rita and I see two beautiful girls growing up and from your Blog we can tell how challenging they are making their lives. Good job Scott and Jennifer and congratulations on your achievements Catie and Michelle

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger The two love birds .. said...

By the way Jennifer. Happy Birthday Belated from us. Hope your birthday was spectacular!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home