Thursday, August 30, 2007

Skills Needed


Well my baby has less than a month to go before she is officially a teen. Of course she has thought of herself as a teen for years, so really this is all just a formality. Tonight we made a trip to Verizon to check out a cell phone for said almost-teen's quickly approaching birthday. It turned out that the $50 rebate on the phone will be expiring in a couple of days, although they might extend it like as not. But just in case Verizon sticks to the stated plan, we went ahead and bought the phone today. Boy did that make our little sweetheart happy. She chipped in a bit of her own $$$ and upgraded her gift to one of the new "Chocolates". This one has a fancy wheel control --the kind used on iPods that I have yet to figure out -- and all sorts of cool features I did not know she needed on a phone, for instance a video camera. But hey, she was able to make a cute video of herself walking around the kitchen and talking about her new phone -- if she's ever famous it might make good You Tube material, and even if she's not, I'll still think it's cute!

***

It makes you realize though that using a phone requires way more skills than it used to.

***

In addition to adding Michelle to our plan, we also upgraded to the plan that included unlimited texting for all users. I am realizing that I need to work on my skills to really master texting. It's not that I've never done it -- I was cool enough to do a little text messaging while on the high school trip in March, especially since I was in the van and did not have to worry about the any of the high schoolers on the bus seeing how long it took me to painstakingly type out each of my letters. I've sent about 3 messages since, because although it was kind of fun, it wasn't covered by my plan,and I'm way too cheap to rack up an extra bill for text messages! Now however, we've got a plan which means I'm getting more for my money if I actually text like crazy!

***

I didn't wait long to get started and sent Michelle a message on her phone while we were still in the car -- it took me approximately 10 minutes to type in a birthday greeting -- it took her .5 seconds to read it back to me upon receiving it. I need to get better at this. Learning to use abbreviated English and forgetting every form of punctuation might be a start.

***

P.S. Wondering about the ***? For some reason I keep losing my new paragraph spacing everytime I preview this. I know there's a way to program in a hard return, but you know, if I could remember how to do that, I'd probably know all about text messaging as well!



5 Comments:

At 6:26 AM, Blogger Megan @ SimplyThrifty said...

Very fun to read. :)

Boba is basically large tapiocca. Sarah and I are planning on having it at the baby shower so three of the clan should have an opportunity to try it at that time. :) It's super yummy!

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Ando said...

As grownups, I think Jen and I were among the last of our friends to get cell phones. I never dreamed of having one when I was 13. Of course back then it cost about $12 a minute to talk and the phones were about the size of a small Buick. In college though, I thought I was pretty cool when I got my pager.

I had the same problem with my paragraphs when I used Blogger. It was one of the factors that led me to switch to Wordpress. Very irritating.

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Congrats on having another teenager :) Cool phone! Now that you have unlimited texting, I predict you will get really good at it as you can do it all the time :):)

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger micheller said...

my phone is cooler than the one in the picture because mine is black!!!

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Peter Brown said...

Wow cell phones, and text messaging... it's a brave new world. The phone is very shiny for Chocolate. Must have paraffin wax in it or something...

Did you see this? Better start practicing...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home