Thursday, May 24, 2007

"Squiggy, Come!"

For Christmas, Aunt Trish brought the kids a "Fun With Your Cat" kit. Included in the contents was a book containing several activities you can do with your cat to observe Cat behavior and even train them. Yes, you read that correctly, train a cat. While most of the activities held little interest for me, "The Cat's Meow" in which you teach your cat to come on command, sounded like a practical idea. With Squiggy just beginning to go outside by himself, I could think of many good reasons it would be helpful to be able to call him and have him come. So I set out to train him and sure enough, within a couple of days, he was coming when I would call. This of course was rewarded with a tiny bit of tuna each time he came. Beamer, our toy fox terrier, picked up on the benefits of coming when I said, "Squiggy Come" much quicker than the object of my training. Whenever there is food involved, Beamer is one smart doggie! Obedient too!



When I want to locate our orange kitty, I call "Squiggy, come!" Within seconds there is a scramble of toenails and I know it will not be long before the enthusiastic figure of Beamer makes his appearance. I continue calling "Squiggy, come" while Beamer sits beside me, actually shaking with anticipation for the small nibble of tuna he will receive after Squiggy eventually shows up. I continue calling, "Squiggy, come" several more times, until finally, a small orange figure lazily makes his entrance, while Beamer sits barely able to restrain himself. After Squiggy sniffs a bit at the tuna, seeming to weigh whether or not it's really worth eating, he will then delicately lick the morsel. After a while, I turn to Beamer so he can inhale his small bit. Often Beamer will then lick Squiggy's mouth, just in case he left a little behind. The cat is located, and the dog as well for that matter, and thus ends a successful session of "Squiggy, come."




BTW, if you would like an entertaining look at the difference between the way dogs and cats approach mealtime, may I suggest "Kibble Run" for your viewing pleasure? We really should have named the dog "Hooover" instead of "Beamer"!




7 Comments:

At 4:14 PM, Blogger Peter Brown said...

If that doesn't just sum up the difference between dogs and cats, I don't know what will. Cats don't ever want you to think it was your idea.

"I'm only here 'cuz I wanna be, not because you called me!"

I liked the kibble run (as you can see I commented last month!)

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Sarah Kuhner said...

Finally a place to post my thoughts and comments. I have completely forgotten my comments on your last post with no spot for them-sorry. Good luck training Squiggy! My kitty does the same thing when I shake her treat bottle. My dog is there in 1/2 a second and a couple min. later in strolls the cat for some treats. I don't even know why the dog comes cause I never give her treats at the same time.

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Megan @ SimplyThrifty said...

We use "Temptations" for our kitty. Maybe you should switch to kitty treats and Beamer may not come as often. :) Puma comes running every time she hears the bag shake.

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger jenylu said...

Megan:

Beamer LOVES Kitty kibbles & Kitty treats -- I think there are very few edibles that would not make Beamer come a'running. :-)

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Drama Queen said...

Yup, that pretty much sums up beamer and squiggys different aproaches on food.

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Rebel Trooper said...

Very interesting...I see you have a very lazy cat.

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Megan @ SimplyThrifty said...

Are you on a blogger break for the summer?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home