Friday, April 27, 2007

Got GPS?

The girls and I are currently in San Jose for a championship speech tournament. This is a picture of us after they'd finished their second rounds -- Catie is not really taller than me yet, but she's sure coming close. She must have been on tiptoes for this shot. It's been an exciting year for them in speech and I'm so proud of how hard they've worked and how much they've accomplished. Sounds pretty braggy compared to my usual confessions--but it's hard not to let a little of that slip in occasionally.

Okay, time for the confessions. Since my last post was dedicated entirely to my husband's driving, this one will deal with mine. Actually, it will deal with my lack of direction that becomes painfully apparent when I'm traveling. I kind of get lost really easily. We don't even want to think where I might have ended up driving in Mexico!

Scott, being the wonderful husband he is, lets me take his car when I travel without him so I can take advantage of his Global Positioning System (GPS). All I can say is PRAISE THE LORD FOR GPS!! It's not foolproof, because this fool still manages to get lost at least one time each trip, even with Roz (that's what the girls named the nice GPS voice yesterday) politely warning me, "Prepare to turn left in 600 feet". I get a little mixed up at times about what 600 feet actually looks like and end up on a wrong road. Even so, Roz is very patient with me and quickly adjusts to our new location and tells me how to get back where I want to be. Tonight, even though I was thoroughly lost on the San Jose freeway system in the dark, it was comforting to know Roz was looking out for me and working her best to get me turned around and headed in the right direction again. Yes, PRAISE THE LORD FOR GPS!!!

I was lobbying for a pearl necklace for Mother's Day. I've changed my mind. I want the necklace, but I need GPS.

4 Comments:

At 12:55 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I am so glad Roz took care of you!!!!! Sounds like something I need :)

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Peter Brown said...

Congratulations to your daughters! Sounds like they've done well!

The GPS systems are cool. (I love the gadgets) I have Google Local on my PDA that has helped me out of some jams. No GPS though.

The only time I ever saw one was while I was in the car with this guy who spent 5 minutes programing it in the parking lot. He was almost done when he got nailed by a distracted driver. I never saw it in action, but it did look cool.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger J Crew said...

GPS is totally legit!!

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Becca Sports said...

My sister could use GPS. She will call my parents and have them do mapquests for her while she is on the road. She gets lost all the time. I do pretty good except when reading a mapquest/yahoo map. You have two read two or three lines ahead to make sure you aren't doing the wrong thing. They get TOO detailed!!

Congrats to the girls. I hope they do well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home