Sunday, May 13, 2007

Our Cute Little Mother

Today is a day we have set aside to honor those very special people in our life we call "Mother". I am blessed to call a wonderful and delightful lady my mother. I recently went to a ladies retreat with her and cannot count the many people that mentioned to me, "Your mom is so cute", or "Your mom is so fun to be with", or "I just love your mom". I have to agree -- she's cute, fun to be with, and I just love her. One of the "mixers" at our ladies retreat involved answering several questions for the other ladies at your table. The question which drew the best response was something like, "When were you most embarrassed by something one of your children did?" It's amazing how much material we give our moms to answer a question like that And yet, they love us anyway. Although I honestly believe my sister gave my mom more material for that question, I certainly gave her plenty to work with. Rather than tattling on myself further though, I think I'll just share a few pictures and then try to quickly sum up some of the many reasons my mom is a woman to be honored.

This first picture is one of my very favorites. What a cute little girl my mom was! No wonder people still think she's cute. The foot ware might clue you in that her childhood was not exactly a "princess" experience.
This next picture could be called her "Carol Brady" years. Doesn't she just look like a young version of Florence Henderson? And don't Jody and I look just like Cindy & Marcia? Well, maybe not...



The final picture is one of our complete family of five. My brother did not come along until I was 10 -- it is a tribute to my lack of vanity that I am willing to post this picture when he is the only cute one in it. This phase for my mom was the "Big black glasses phase". I remember my Uncle used this picture to put on the cover of a brochure for a family retreat his church was doing -- he chose it because it looked like a family who really enjoyed one another. That's true, we did. I guess enjoying one another was more important than looking good!


Mom has left behind her "Carol Brady" and "Big black glasses" phases. She's now in our "Cute little mother" phase. She's always been tiny, but has grown more so in the past several years. My thoughtful son has informed her that she is legally a midget and should apply to the DMV for a special parking placard. She spends much of her time these days fussing over my dad -- their love for one another and enjoyment of each other's company is one of my greatest treasures!
Although her life has had many phases, some things have remained constant. Even more important than her love for her family has been her love for her Lord. Ever since she discovered that she is "God's beloved princess" through the ministry of Young Life years ago, her love for her Heavenly Father and her Savior, Jesus Christ, have been key to her identity and have enabled her to be the wonderful wife and mother we know her to be. She is and has been a godly example to us, a prayer warrior for us, a cheerleader beside us--a blessing from the Lord.


Proverbs 31:26 - 28

She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:











4 Comments:

At 6:27 PM, Blogger Drama Queen said...

Happy mothers day all you mothers out there! i am strong in my belief that the first picture resembles me when i was that age. yup, know you know where the good looks came from...:)

 
At 5:16 AM, Blogger Becca Sports said...

What a sweet tribute to your mother!! I always have thought that she was/is a very godly, sweet woman. We enjoyed it when they would come and be with the college group. You can learn alot from older, wiser people! :)

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Megan @ SimplyThrifty said...

First of all, a very sweet tribute. Secondly, can I just say that at first glance at the "brady" picture, it looks like Johnny and Christian dressed up as girls. I cannot believe how much they each look like their mothers! Wow!!! I would love to see a comparison of them at those ages beside the picture you posted.

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Sarah Kuhner said...

I really enjoyed seeing the pictures of your family when you were younger. I don't think I have ever seen you when you were little. Very touching post! I too love your mom and really enjoy talking to her when I get the opportunity. Happy Mother's Day!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home