Monday, September 03, 2007

Time Flies When You're Raising Children


The other morning, I was praying for my children and thumbing through the prayer tags I had made this summer. When I saw this picture of my first born I got a little sentimental. After all, sitting on the kitchen table were his senior proofs for the yearbook. Where does the time go?
***

When my children were very young and the job of raising them was very physically wearing, at times it felt like my life would be like that forever. There is only 4 1/2 years between my oldest and youngest, so when Michelle was a baby, everytime I went in public with the three of them I was sure to get a "Boy you have your hands full" comment -- and it was true, I did! But all of the sudden, without even realizing it, we entered a new phase. We could now sit in a restaurant and it was okay if the food did not come immediately. We were able to get in the car without hauling double our bodies' weight worth of gear. Our children started taking responsibility for their own actions and cleaning up after themselves. Oh, whoops, haven't arrived at that one yet--but we can sit in restaurants for longer.


***
I know that the majority of my eight readers either have small children at home, or are expecting their arrival within the next year. I know you've heard it often, but treasure this time. It disappears so quickly, so savor each moment. Even the trying times can prove very entertaining on a blog! You may feel as if you will be picking up legos for the rest of your life (come to think of it -- we're still doing that too) but your time with your children will go so quickly. Enjoy!

***
Sons are a heritage from the LORD,
children a reward from him.
Psalm 127:3

6 Comments:

At 1:25 PM, Blogger Julie Danielle said...

Your post is so encouraging. Sometimes I find myself wishing for older children but then I take a step back and know this time will go by fast. And I need to treasure it.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Megan @ SimplyThrifty said...

What a good reminder. :) I'm sure I'll need to come reread this when I'm waking multiple times at the wee hours of the morning. I remember Sarah telling me at one point she asked Chris, "Can we give her back?" :)

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Sarah Kuhner said...

I really was encouraged too. And kind of sad too just thinking about how fast this precious time will fly by. I just love this time of cuddles and smiles and lots of firsts with my baby. I don't want that to disappear too fast. Pictures are my way of hanging on to that. (Only a thousand or so of my baby) ;O)

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Becca Sports said...

Thanks for the reminder Jenn! i try to remember that time will pass quickly, especially on the hard days. Most of the women in my bible study have kids my age, so I get reminded how quickly time passes very often. I love hearing the advice because it is so easy to get caught up in the little things that drive you crazy that you miss out on the sweet kisses, hugs and memories that will soon pass. When I look back at pictures from just 6 months ago it is a good reminded just how fast they are growing up!

Thanks again Jenn!

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I think you should make a copy of this for me - so when I am tired and overwhelmed, I can have a reminder to treasure each moment :):) I am so excited about the arrival of our little one! Even the pregnancy (believe it or not) has gone fast - I just said to someone today - I will miss feeling her move around in my stomach - it all goes so fast! What cute prayer cards - I need to make some of those when my little one is here :)

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Peter Brown said...

I honestly didn't think I would enjoy this time this much. I have always regarded babies, as a messy nasty stage that you had to get through to enjoy children. Children are defined as anyone without a diaper.

I will really miss this stage, though It'll be fun to see what is next too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home