Tuesday, June 10, 2008

"Thenk you for you pashenz, Mahm"

















No, my title is not another mad gab, it's just a phrase I heard repeated more times than I can count today as I spent about 4 hours on the phone with various branches of United's customer service, which is located in India. Dealing with automated menus that did not apply, disconnected calls, and representatives that are hard to understand...what could be better than that?


It was a great relief to us Sunday to find out, from the United Agent Scott spoke to, that our tickets would be refunded and we would receive $100 travel vouchers. Apparently though, according to the many agents I spoke to today, that was not possible. I think the low point was when they were even going to charge me an extra $100 a ticket to cancel our scheduled returned flights! In the end, the best we were able to do was get back less than half of our ticket cost as well as a small fraction of the frequent flyer miles, plus the vouchers. So unfortunately, it still cost us a fair amount in cash and miles to spend that memorable day at O'Hare.


As with the frustrations of Sunday, I have no doubt God is using these minor frustrations to sharpen that character which still needs so much refinement. But surely, one of the blessings He is giving must include more material for blogging!


Last night, Catie and Johnny recorded a hilarious song with Garage Band called, "Stuck in the Airport". I'd love to include it in my blog but Johnny said it's never leaving his computer. I asked him today if they could cut a new song called "Stuck on the Phone with Customer Service"... maybe that could be followed up by a song about our luggage entitled, "Still Not Located".

5 Comments:

At 8:27 PM, Blogger Megan @ SimplyThrifty said...

Wow! What is traveling coming to. That is VERY frustrating. It seems they should do better than that. I hope the luggage is found soon.
When Phil's family was here both his grandma and family's flights home were rescheduled to MUCH earlier times with NO notification. (Both different airlines than you used). We found out at about 11 pm the night before they were to leave. They were going to have to leave at 2:00 AM in order to get to the airport in time. They managed to get the earliest flight delayed a bit so they "only" had to leave at 4:30. You'd think we weren't in the 21st Century with the way the airlines are working.

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Sarah Kuhner said...

My enthusiasm for flying to see my sister is waning after hearing all the tales of airport horror. I hope our flights go well. I really can't believe how badly they treated you after not being able to get you to your destination. That is unreal!! Guess they need to work on customer service a little and I'm sure you had a good chance to work on patience.

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Becca Sports said...

I'm sorry to hear about the run-around you experienced. It is amazing how little companies are willing to work with you these days. Does it seem worse since it has been sent overseas? Maybe the communication is lacking and they don't understand how to make their customers happy. I hate flying and it is so stressful. I remember getting stuck overnight at SFO because we were delayed due to fog, lost our car rental and missed the last bus to Santa Rosa. We have other stories too, did I say I hate flying?

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Ask me sometime about trying to get home from Missouri while VERY pregnant - by myself and wow - it was similar - reading your post brought back many memories from that trip - where I ended up staying in Missouri until I could get another flight - 2 days later - and my dad drove back to the airport to get me. Yikes! But - - - - as I learned in the last lesson at Compass group - we are to be thankful in all things - so I am thankful for more time with family and getting to come back to CA safely :)

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

(My "lost" luggage that they couldn't find actually was in San Fran - went without me on a flight I was never scheduled to be on and went that day - unlike me - ha ha :) )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home