Monday, September 11, 2006

More Than a Date on the Calendar

Today is a busy calendar day and extras included: 1st day of Catie's writing class, junior high soccer try-outs, ladies' ministry board meeting tonight... Everytime I wrote something new on the date, I of course thought of 9-11, not as a calendar date, but as an event. Like most Americans, I remember well the morning of 9-11-01, but it's amazing how much we forget, particularly some of the best lessons we could have learned from the horror of that day.

My sister called early in the morning to let me know about the World Trade Center. Scott was in the shower but I immediately turned on the radio, trying to understand the nature of her panicked phone call. The 1st Tower had already collapsed by the time I tuned in, but I was listening as they broadcast the collapse of the second. It all seemed surreal. All three kids were homeschooled at that time. We woke them up and told them what had happened and we prayed together. Shortly after, Scott left for work. We didn't have TV at the time, so I packed the kids up and we went over to watch at my sister's house. The images we watched on screen were even worse that the ones I had pictured while listening to the radio.

Some of my vivid memories in the days & weeks after 9-11 include the following:

1. I remember President Bush's address to congress. He and Tom Daschle actually gave each other a genuine hug. For one brief moment, it was not a group of Republicans and Democrats, but rather a group of Americans. I also remember President Bush acknowledging the brave actions of those on American Flight 93. Lisa Beamer, the wife of 9-11 hero Todd Beamer, was recognized from the balcony. When she stood, it was obvious that she was pregnant. I remember crying at this fresh reminder of the personal tragedy this national crisis meant to so many.
2. I remember many churches held evening prayer services for the express purpose of praying for our nation.
3. I remember the plethora of flags that were suddenly flying from every home and from the back of many cars. For a while, stores were sold out of flags. Our own flag, a relic from my childhood, had disintegrated some time earlier. It was to my shame that I had not replaced it. We flew a small, plastic 4th of July decoration until I purchased a new one.
4. I remember it was the first, and only time in my life that I rooted for the Yankees. As I nation, we all suddenly had a tender spot for New York, our respect for New York's mayor, Rudy Giuliani was great, and our desire to honor New York's police officers and fire fighters was sincere. For me, this translated to rooting for the Yankees in the World Series.
5. I remember people had a temporary openess to God. "God Bless America" brought tears to many eyes as it was sung during the 7th inning of baseball games and America was again okay with the "One Nation Under God" concept. Granted, it was a "God" that could be tailored to whatever the individual believed, but even so, there was a recognition of the need for faith in something bigger than ourselves.
6. I remember it was during this time that the kids and I started including prayers for our president in our morning prayer time together. It is a Biblical instruction to pray for our leaders, 1 Timothy 2:1-3 says, "I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior". Though a Biblical instruction, it took something like 9-11 to impress upon me the need to do this daily. We now also pray for our troops and their families in our morning prayer time.
7. I remember stories of heroism and sacrifice as tragedy brought out the best in many.

God taught us much through the tragedy of 9-11. I wish we had better memories. Unfortunately there will probably come a time when we will be able to put an event on the calendar without thinking about 9-11 as more that just the 11th day of September. For those who choose not to forget, there are lessons worth choosing to remember. I don't think I'll be rooting for the Yankees again anytime soon, but surely we would all benefit from that greater realization of our need for prayer, humility before God, and a willingness to set small diffences aside and care for our fellow man.

2 Comments:

At 3:29 PM, Blogger Ando said...

Great post. I also became a temporary Yankee fan.

It was refreshing to see politicians actually act like human beings toward each other for a brief time. How quickly things change.

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Peter Brown said...

Thank you for the post. I hope it is a day that will aways be with us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home