Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Don't Get Mad, Kevin?

Ando's guess for Dawn Kim Add, Kitty Fin was just too funny not work in somewhere, so I got it out of the way in the title.

I have a new mad gab for you, courtesy of the Curves bulletin board today: Aid He He A A Gent

It took me about half way around the exercise circle to figure this one out. When I turned in my answer for a chance at the monthly drawing, I found out I was the only correct guess so far. But don't worry, I won't let it go to my head.

The main thrust of my post today has nothing to do with mad gabs -- I just included that so I can have a good change of getting a comment out of pops -- and it especially has nothing to do with Kevin. It's all about onions & conspiracy theories (and you thought Kludge was out there with the sticky buns!)

I was in Safeway today picking up a few groceries and decided to get a couple of onions. I wasn't happy with the per/pound price, so turned to the display of bagged onions hoping for a break. Sure enough one sign advertised 5 lbs of yellow onions for $2.99 so I grabbed a bag, thinking at the time that 5 lbs sure didn't look like 5 lbs. I then checked the tag attached to the bag and found that it was only 3 lbs. I returned it to the bin and searched in vain for a 5 lb bag. That was when I noticed a larger sign advertising the 3 lb bag of white onions 10/$10, or $1 a piece. It also showed this was a good savings as the regular price was $2.99. I love a good deal so grabbed the bag of white onions, though I honestly prefer yellow. (The reason I am including such detail is it is very important for you to understand that I studied these sale signs rather carefully.)

Upon leaving the store after checking out, I was reading over my receipt and was disappointed to find that I had been charged $2.99 for the onions, rather than the advertised $1.00. (And yes, I did remember to use my Safeway club card.) This presented a dilemma because I hated to head back in the store for a mere $2 difference, and yet, I had been trying to be so careful with the $$$ I felt like I just couldn't enjoy those white onions unless I got the sale price.

So I politely waited for the cashier to finish with her customer and pointed out the discrepancy. She paged produce and I waited. Finally produce called back and confirmed that the onions were not on sale but were correctly charged $2.99. I politely protested saying the sign clearly stated they were $1, all the time feeling really cheap and petty. She told produce about the sign and then told me the produce guy was checking on the sign. I waited for a while longer until the produce guy finally called back saying there was no sign. Suddenly, this became bigger than onions.

Still polite, I told the cashier, "I saw the sign. I need to go back and check for myself." I wheeled my cart around and quickly headed to produce, a woman on a mission. Other shoppers seemed to read my urgency and hastily made way for my cart. When I got to the onion bin, there was NO sign. I stared for a minute at the empty space where that sign had been, the sign I had studied in making a rather lengthy onion decision. It was just a big empty space now. I couldn't believe it.

My mind was reeling as I returned to the cashier and told her, "He was right. There was no sign. But there was one earlier. I no longer want the onions."

She gave me my $3 back (I gained a penny in the deal!). My mind was still racing -- I know I'm forgetful, but I know without a doubt that sign had been there minutes earlier. I told my cashier, "I'm really not neurotic." She answered, rather condescendingly, "Oh I know. Sometimes I see things that aren't there also."

Excuse me??? I wanted to protest and say, "But it was there! This is a conspiracy! I have no idea why you would be interested in cheating me out of the $2, but someone removed that sign!!" But I didn't. I just smiled and left.
***
The primaries are coming up soon. Before I cast my vote for a candidate, I want to know what they plan on doing about stores that change signs to gauge onion buying customers, that's what I want to know! I'm not neurotic -- no sir!

10 Comments:

At 5:45 AM, Blogger Becca Sports said...

I don't think that you are crazy. Sounds like the produce guy removed the sign because he forgot to take down the sales sign from the week before.

Hmm...you have to watch those grocery stores. I had that problem at Jewel(albertsons). I saw oranges on sale for 10/$10. I assumed (wrongly) that it was $1/lb. Turns out that it was $1/orange. I am much more careful now with these "sales". I think that the sales sometimes cost more then the regular prices.

Good for you for returning the onions. Sometimes the issue is worth standing for, of course you ended up without your onions though. Did you have to visit another store? :)

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Peter Brown said...

Wow. Yeah, I think I'd feel a little frazzled after that. You would almost want to make an exploratory investigation into the produce back room to start roughing up carrot men.

I would not have handled the "Oh I know. Sometimes I see things that aren't there also."

You did very well.

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Becca Sports said...

I thought the word may be a form of adhesive. But my spelling of the word did not show up in word, so I must be making the word up. :) I guess I've been hanging around my kids too long.

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Peter Brown said...

BTW- I have no idea what your MAD GAB is, but my stupid brain has started singing "Secret Agent Man" now whenever I go idle...

...you've given him a number...

AH!

 
At 8:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First off, I would have no idea what a good deal on onions would be. Whenever I end up having to buy produce, I just assume that whatever sale they're running must be a good deal. They could charge me $100 per apple and if they slapped it on a sale sign, I'd probably think I was robbing them.

Secondly, are you sure you hadn't sampled any of the mushrooms before this little episod.

Thirdly, I have no idea what the Mad Gab is.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger micheller said...

ok, i am madly trying to figure out your mad gab, all i have so far is 'Eighties Agent'. Its not very good, but ill keep trying.

 
At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eighty eight cents

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger The two love birds .. said...

That's the Jennifer I know. Go girl!! Don't let those produce guys take advantage of you...

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Megan @ SimplyThrifty said...

Guess you've learned your lesson. Next time you want a price check, you'd better go back WITH the produce guy so he can't discreetly remove the sign and make you look "neurotic." After all, I'm the neurotic one these days... :) I haven't uploaded my pics for a few days. When I do, I'll be sure to put up a post. Although I need to as I only have room for 8 more pics on the memory card!

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger Sarah Kuhner said...

Ok, that is just so funny. I think God made the sign disappear just so all of us could have a really good laugh. By the way, onions make you cry, don't taste good and shouldn't be in food or sold at all to anyone wanting to put them in food so I am really happy that you didn't leave with those horrid things. :o) Keep the posts coming.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home